It’s no secret around here that I love a good pattern, and one of my favorite ways to bring it into our rentals is via peel-and-stick wallpaper. I love the temporary punch of style it provides; however, it is definitely not the most budget-friendly choice (especially for something that will only hang on our walls for a few years). In general, the cost of peel-and-stick wallpaper varies greatly, as does the quality. You can find really great stuff for just dollars a roll, as well as meh-quality papers for over $100/roll. I certainly have not tried or tested the vast majority of papers out there (because these days…there are just SO many), but I have wallpapered over a dozen different spaces with great success, never paying more than $1.50/square foot. Today, I’m sharing where to buy peel-and-stick wallpaper, as well as my tried-and-true tips for getting the best prices on the prettiest ones!
I’ve had the best luck scoring the most affordable wallpapers on Amazon. I am particularly fond of the fresh patterns, affordable prices, and nice quality of both the NuWallpaper and RoomMates brands. However, Amazon is known for really wide price swings (even from day to day), and it can sometimes be hard to wade through the vast selection to find true gems.
Keep these things in mind when shopping for wallpaper on Amazon:
- The patterns on Amazon will not necessarily be super special, unique or nuance. You’ll find big-brand names and “stock” patterns that can be easily found on many different websites.
- Prices on Amazon will swing dramatically. Just as an example, when I bought the (above) wallpaper for Sam’s room, it was $24/roll. At the writing of this post, it’s listed at $39/roll. The best way to combat this is to be patient. I often place papers I like on my watch lists and check the prices every day. When I see 16-18′ rolls drop below $30, I will often go for them if it’s a paper I really love and want to use. If papers go below $20, I don’t hesitate a second!
- A major benefit of shopping on Amazon is the quick shipping, easy returns, and fairly steady inventory. This means it is easy to buy more when needed or return excess rolls after installation.
- Pay attention to roll size. Because Amazon carries so many different brands, it can be a bit tricky to compare prices from one product to the next. Always check roll size to determine how much square footage a single roll covers. I personally like to keep my price between $1.00 – $1.50/square foot.
- Not all brands will come up in a generic “peel and stick wallpapers” search. Consider using specific colors or pattern in your search terms (e.g., pink floral peel-and-stick wallpaper), as well as by brand. Here are some favorites I often search specifically:
Here are some of my favorite Amazon wallpapers:
Long-time readers know I’m a big fan of Target’s in-house peel-and-stick wallpaper (by Threshold and Opalhouse). Personally, I find their wallpaper to sit perfectly at the intersection of quality, price, and ease of use. Even beyond the Target brands, I routinely check Target’s entire online selection since they also carry many different brands.
Black-and-White Stripe Wallpaper from Target (Similar)
Keep these things in mind when shopping for wallpapers at Target:
- Because Target has their own “in house” line, you can often find patterns that don’t feel as generic. They also release patterns seasonally so there are always new patterns to check out.
- Because Target releases (and therefor discontinues) papers regularly, it can be a little tricker to buy more paper when needed. Many of the patterns I’ve used over the years are no longer available.
- Although Target does carry unique wallpapers, they also carry many of the papers you will find on Amazon. While their prices are usually the same, you might be able to take advantage of sales, promotions, cash back, or gift cards at Target that you can’t on Amazon.
- Target will run regular sales on peel-and-stick wallpapers (usually any brand), and wallpapers often qualify on their broader “Home” sales. This is a great time to buy multiple rolls for big projects.
- Although I can often score great prices online, my very best deals have been in the stores. Very frequently, you can find significantly discounted rolls on store endcaps. I buy it whenever I see it (as long as it’s a pattern I’ll realistically use), sometimes getting rolls for as cheap as $6-12/roll!
Here are some of my favorite Target papers:
I will admit out front that Spoonflower is not on my list because of price. In fact, Spoonflower has some of the most expensive peel-and-stick wallpaper out there. However, their incredible quality paired with incomparable selection make it a must to check out for special projects.
Keep these things in mind when shopping for wallpapers at Spoonflower:
- I’ve personally only bought the removable, non-pasted version and am constantly struck how heavy duty and durable it is. This is great wallpaper for covering drawers, lamps, stools, and other projects where you want something that won’t tear or smudge and can be easily wiped down.
- Spoonflower offers 1×2′ samples as well as rolls as small as 2×3′. These smaller cuts make it the perfect product for small accent projects.
- Spoonflower it the place to check if you cannot find a pattern you love anywhere else or you want something super unique. Just give yourself some time…pursuing their extensive library can be a huge time suck.
Here are some of my favorite Spoonflower papers:
Wayfair/Joss & Main
In my experience, Wayfair/Joss & Main doesn’t have the best prices on peel-and-stick wallpaper. In fact, I often see the same papers on Amazon and Target marked up on these two sister sites. That said, Wayfair does have a wider selection of “high end” papers (rather than the “stock” patterns you’ll find elsewhere), so it’s a great place to look for something unique, specific, or from higher-end brands.
Grey Plaid Wallpaper from Target (Similar)
Keep these things in mind when shopping for wallpapers at Wayfair:
- Wayfair displays many of their prices by the square foot rather than the roll. This makes it MUCH easier to quickly identify papers in your budget, rather than having to examine each roll length/width individually.
- Each wallpaper listing includes a “Roll Calculator” where you can type in your dimensions and it will determine how much paper you need based on the pattern, waste, etc. This is super handy for those of us who are math challenged.
- Wayfair is great for finding really unique patterns you won’t find on other sites, as well as large-scale murals.
- Be sure to check the Sales page and shop when there are sitewide sales, promotions, and free shipping etc.
Here are some of my favorite Wayfair papers:
Other Retailers to Check Out
These days, there are TONS of different retailers that offer a wide variety of peel-and-stick wallpapers. The following are stores I follow and check in on regularly; but in general, their prices are too steep for our temporary lifestyle. Still, they feature amazing patterns and regularly run sales, so you might be able to score the perfect paper for your project!
- Anthropologie – Known for its bohemian aesthetic, you’ll find really pretty and unique prints here. They are pricey though so watch for sales and save up to splurge!
- Society6 – I love this online shop for art prints, but they also carry some really unique wallpapers and murals. Get on their newsletter to be alerted for sales!
- WallsNeedLove – I have long loved the simple and modern patterns featured in this online shop, and they also carry stripes in every size and color so you can make your own patterns (like I did here). They run really great sales on Black Friday and through the holidays.
- Etsy – You can find lots of really unique and lovely patterns on Etsy. I just caution you to closely check the price/roll length since these smaller retailers tend to have much higher prices!
The sweet spot between wallpaper pattern, quality, availability and price will differ for each home, each person, and maybe even each project. For a really special space that you’ve been waiting and saving up for, you may be willing to splurge on more expensive paper. Or perhaps (like me), you are just looking for the least expensive option to update your walls or furniture without paint (and therefor need to keep your selections as budget-friendly as possible). I hope the shopping hints and sources I shared here help you hunt down the perfect papers for your project and your pocketbook!
More Wallpaper Inspiration!
Check out my other tips, tricks and ideas by clicking below!
Posted In Rental Solutions, Virginia 2