Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend. Ours’ was not quite as productive as I was hoping on the project front. However, we did get our Christmas decor up AND the house mostly put back together. Please tell me I’m not the only one who has a minor anxiety attack with the messes and re-arranging that comes with Christmas decorating 🙁 I took a slightly different approach to my decor this year, and I’m excited to show it to you next week. For today though, I wanted to check back in to chat a bit more about how I made the dry-erase magnets for the Magnetic Task Board I showed you last week!
Last week, I showed you all my latest magnetic organizing system, my Magnetic Task Board. I’m a super visual person, so I am hopeful this new system will keep me on top of my assignments, projects, Etsy shop order and blog work, as I start to expand what I do here! When I set out to create a system to keep track of the various things I work on, I knew it absolutely HAD to be three things: 1) magnetic 2) dry-eraseable, and 3) color-coded. After toying around with lots of different ideas and looking at various products available online and in stores, I decided to go the DIY route and make my own magnetic dry-erase labels. I had laminated magnetic paper before so I knew it worked, I just had to get on board with all the cutting required. I finally went for it, and I’m so glad I did because these were exactly what I wanted, and they didn’t take me a ton of time. Oh, and the best part? I was able to pull the whole thing together using supplies I already had!
I started by designing my labels using My Digital Studio (a digital scrapbooking program). I played around with different categories and landed on 6 that made the most sense to me. On my reader survey, many of you wanted me to offer more Printables, so guess what I have for you? Should you want to make a similar board, I’ve included the Magnetic Task Board Printable Kit free for download here. Even if these categories don’t apply to you, I’ve included 6 blank labels to make each color represent whatever you is you need to track!
Once I was content with my system and my design, I printed all the labels onto magnetic paper (the same magnetic paper I used for my Magnetic Menu Board. I love this stuff! And yes, I had some sheets in my stash ;).
Here’s where I turned on some good music and found a comfy seat (with my laminator close by!) and just got into a cutting groove. I cut apart all the magnet labels, using both a paper cutter and a scissors. I then loaded the labels into laminating sheets and fed them through the laminator. I then cut them all apart again, and even fed the single magnets through the laminator individually to really seal up the edges. It was a bit tedious, but it only took me about an hour to get all the magnets cut and sealed.
And with that, I had a whole slew of color-coded, erasable magnets ready to get myself organized!
Now I can jot things down and move tasks around really easily…AND keep on top of projects with a quick glance! (Oh – and the m/t/w/th/f/s/s letters are just gold-foil stickers I had in my collection!)
And about the metal sheet and frame that the magnets sit on. I didn’t take a lot of great pictures because it was a somewhat fluid process, but here’s the gist.
I repurposed a 24″ square cut of magnetic sheet metal that we had in the playroom (but I originally bought it at Lowes for just a few dollars). After priming it, I sprayed the top 1/3 with white spray paint. Once dry, I taped off a line about 10″ down and painted the bottom with some leftover Valspar Whipped Strawberry (that I had from this cute dresser makeover).
Although screwing the sheet metal directly to the wall worked just fine, I wanted to give it more substance by making a frame for the entire display. Let me get real with you here real quick. We are more handy than some but not quite as handy as others. Making this mitered frame was a first and a big deal for us 😉 I bought a 1″x2″x8′ length of pine from Lowes and a good ol’ fashioned miter box with a hack saw. With the help (and arm strength) of my husband, we cut down 24″ lengths with 45 degree cuts on each end. It actually worked pretty well, and we were shocked to see our corners line up when we put all four sides together. I put wood glue on each of the four corners and held it together using a band clamp (bottom left). Once dry, I painted the frame in the exact same way I painted the sheet metal above (white on top, tape, pink on bottom).
Once it was all dry, we simply screwed the metal sheet right onto the back of the frame and added D-ring hooks and picture hanging wire for easy hanging! (By the way, pay no attention to the back of my sheet metal, it pulled some of the paint off the wall when we removed it from the playroom – eek!)
The frame was surprisingly sturdy, and especially with the metal screwed tot he back, I had no fears of it falling apart. Still, I thought some L-brackets (spray painted gold) were not just pretty but they added some functional reenforcement! This frame is not coming apart easily!
I originally planned on painting grid lines for the calendar portion on top, but it seemed a bit busy. Looking at the pictures though, a grid might help it look a little cleaner after all. Either way, I now have a pretty and functional system for keeping organized!
That darn little pink dresser has caused a domino effect in the craft room (hence the reason this board is pink), but I’m struggling to put everything back together in a way that feels cohesive and “me.” Fingers crossed I have a breakthrough soon so I can show you what I’ve been up to!
Like I said, I had everything on hand but the wood for the frame and the L-brackets…so this project cost me about $5. If you had to buy everything from scratch, this board would likely run you about $30.
Hope you all had a great start to your week. Next up on Wednesday, a fifteen-minute/no-fail holiday wreath tutorial!