Over the course of the last week, I’ve shown you two different areas of our home (the front porch and our entryway) that each now have a fancy-dancy new console table…each with their own function and personality! I wanted to show you how quick and easy this table transformation was!
This is the table we started with. I’ve had it since I was a sophomore in college (it served as our dining room table in my first apartment); it’s solid pine, and as I recall, we got it for really, really cheap. When Greg and I got married and moved to Okinawa, it went into storage. Upon our return from overseas, it went into our garage for three years. When we moved to Virginia, I had the brilliant idea to paint it with weather proof paint and it could be our patio table – we never used it and after two more years of neglect, it had accumulated its share of scratches, paint spills from other projects, and more abuse. I never could bring myself to get rid of it though, because it was solid wood and had a pretty classic shape.
After toying with the idea for a while, a few weeks ago we made the decision that since we weren’t using the table in its current state, we might as well give it a makeover that would work for our home now! We cut the table in half, and ended up with two pretty spiffy new additions to our home!
To make the two tables, we started by using a flathead screwdriver to loosen where the middle seam had been painted shut. We then pulled the table all the way apart. Greg used a reciprocating saw to cut off the wood sliders underneath and the wooden pegs on the side. Table #1 for outside was ready for sanding, priming and paint just like that!
However, the other console table needed a little more cutting down. In order to fit it where we wanted it inside, the table needed to be a little skinnier. With the help of the circular saw, we took off another four inches in depth (as well as the rest of the under-table sliders) for table #2!
I didn’t want this two-day project to turn into a two-week project so I had planned just to paint right over the existing black paint and weather-proof poly. But the table had a good bit of paint drips and other damage, so I gave the top of each table a good sanding. I wanted a nice smooth surface, so I spent the time and went right down to the wood grain–it took about two hours to sand both table tops. The undersides and legs were lightly sanded with a sanding block and wiped down.
I started with the undersides on day one and then moved onto the tops the second day.
For the black table that was destined for our porch, I used Valspar Outdoor Spray Paint in black for the legs and underside of the top. For the table top, I primed it with some Zinsser Cover Stain Primer and then finished off with three coats of Rustoleum’s Painter’s Touch in Black Gloss. I was excited to see that I could buy a teeny tiny can of the Rustoleum for just a few dollars since I only needed it for the top of the table!
We gave the table overnight to cure before moving it out to the porch. Even though the porch is covered, we do get some good winds so we attached the table to the house using a few L brackets. We gave it another 24 hours before accessorizing it! You can see more porch pictures HERE.
The yellow console table required a little more work, but not much! I worked on both these tables in tandem so they were both done at the same time! Since this half-round table was going light yellow, I knew it needed a good priming before painting. I used the spray Zinsser primer for the legs and the roll-on for the table top. Once the primer was dry and sanded smooth, I gave it three coats of the lemon-lime paint giving it about 3 hours to dry between each coat. (I did cut the bright yellow paint with some white paint I had on hand-I don’t have exact measurements but I think it was about 1 part yellow to 3 parts white!). The next morning, I gave it two coats of the Minwax Finishing Wax with buffing between each coat. The Minwax has become my go-to top coat lately. I like how easy it is to apply, it dries super fast, and the finish is durable without being too glossy!
We brought the table inside and attached it to the wall using L-brackets again. You can see more pictures of our entryway HERE.
If you look super close, there are some dings and drips (leftover from the years of wear and tear). I could have spent weeks buffing everything out and making these perfect, but that wasn’t the goal for this one table turned two. We wanted to spend minimal time and effort giving new life to something that had been sitting neglected in our garage!
The two tables were pulled together using mostly paint we had on hand and were absolutely worth the weekend of work and $10 investment (for the black spray paint and black Rustoleum paint!). This is the first time I’ve gotten the guts up to take our saw to a piece of furniture, and I am so thrilled with the results. Uh oh, our other not-so-loved pieces better watch out 😉
On Friday, I’ll have a Halloween costume sneak peak for you. See you then!
Posted In DIY Decor, North Carolina