Hey everyone! Happy Monday. I hope you all had a great weekend and are ready for the week ahead. I am wrapping up some big projects and am looking forward to a little downtime in the craft room 😉
Last week, I took a break from home-project posts to show you a few of my Valentine’s Day crafts. Before that, we were talking a lot about the owl bedroom! Before I wrap up the owl-themed little boy room and proclaim it “done,” there is one more quick little project I’m going to show you!
I want to talk a little bit about how we took this coat rack, used to hang wet bags and laundry bags in H’s old nursery, and made super cute and functional wall hooks…all in the name of making a space work by using what you’ve got!
If you’ve been coming around here for a while, you might remember that I gave this old coat rack a makeover last Spring. The coat rack was actually from my dorm room decor (um…how many years ago ??), and I gave it a fresh paint treatment to work in H’s owl-themed nursery.
In H’s new room, however, there are no un-used or spare corners, and everywhere we put the coat rack, it was eating up precious floor space. There was no longer a suitable home for this cute little stand, but we still desperately needed some place to hang hang-able items!
I first decided that this coat rack had lived its life and had been re-purposed once already, so it was firmly placed in the donate pile. Then it occurred to me that the hooks could be removed and hung directly on the wall – solving our need for wall hooks without having to spend a penny!
They didn’t come off without a fight, but after some finagling, I got three of the four hooks off the post. At first, I was a little disappointed that the paint job didn’t survive the separation process – the green surfaces got pretty banged up. But then, I saw it as an opportunity to re-paint the hooks, switching the colors, which I thought would look better in the room anyway!
I don’t have photos, but here’s the gist: I painted the hooks completely blue, then taped off the edges. I followed up with several coats of green spray paint and a protective clear gloss. After removing the tape, I had three pretty hooks to hang on the wall!
As you can imagine, that floor-hogging coat rack would have taken a big chunk out of the corner by the closet (image below) had we let it be. This was the perfect solution for taking something we had and making it work for the space we’re in now. For those of us that move a lot, it’s something that (sometimes) has to be done to make a home work just right!
Hope everyone’s week is off to a great start. I’ll be back Wednesday with a final before and after look of this little happy green space!