Inspiration. Again, I wanted to use Liz Claiborne’s Extrovert Peach Blossom fabric to coordinate with the rest of the house, but this time I chose to accentuate the green and blue. I ended up introducing a blue and green stripe, as well as some pink geometric fabric to try and bring it all together. I really struggled to bring this room together, and don’t think I was ever quite successful. But, like with so many of my projects, I learned a lot!
Curtains. The windows in this room made positioning the furniture quite a challenge. Admittedly, we were probably trying to squeeze too many pieces in. Nonetheless, there was no great place to put the “headboard” so I made a small, useless window the focal point of the bed. I found these curtain panels at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They were way too short, so I knew I wouldn’t use them as curtains. Instead, they worked perfectly behind the bed to soften the room and serve as a faux headboard.
Bedding. I found another white quilt (just like my C&B one!) at Marshals (Love!). It was a queen size, but I just tucked and tucked and tucked it under this twin mattress and box spring! The sheets were a splurge: Amy Butler bedding. The quilt at the foot of the bed was also bought at Linen’N’Things Going-Out-Of-Business clearance sale!
Pillows Sham. I made the pillow sham using my striped fabric to tie all the greens to the blue wall. I cut out two shams, but because it was a twin bed, I only made one. (The other is still cut out and ready to be assembled in my “to-do” box!) I followed this pattern to make it: XXXX.
Bedskirt. I thought this was one of my more clever ideas (if I do say so myself!). I bought a cheep taupe bedskirt with clean lines and simple pleats at the corners and in the middle. I then cut scraps of my Liz Claiborne theme fabric to fit the insides of the pleats. Using fusible webbing, I ironed the fabric into the pleat for a pop of unexpected pattern and color!
Window Valence. The window valence was a very simple rectangle sewn out of cheep white fabric. I added green borders to three sides and left openings on the top/sides for the rod to go through. Then I constructed simple “tie backs” (essentially, big loops) out of my striped fabric to coordinate with the bedding.
Lamp shades. Here is where I started to loose my focus – maybe? I added in the pink geometric fabric. I did it because I was in love with the pattern and I thought the green/blue was a little flat. Although I loved the pink, I think this is where the room began to derail! Regardless though, I learned how to cover lamp shades and fabric boxes! The lamp shades were covered using my accent fabric with a glue gun. Should have definately trimmed the tops and bottoms (on both the in and outside) with a trim to cover the rough edges – especially when the light is on! Duh!
Message Board. To tie the patterns together, I needed to bring in my main flowered fabric. I chose to do so in a message board. This is a huge piece of painter’s canvas, covered in fabric. I then used a glue gun to adhere a clip board (decoupaged with scrapbook paper), a magnetic wipe board, and a cork board. Note – hot glue was NOT strong enough and I was constantly putting this board back together. Hurumph! But it sure looked cute!
Chair Cushion. I also brought in the theme fabric with the chair cushion on the desk. I simply used the cushion that came with the chair as a pattern. The top was my flowered fabric, the underside was my accent pink fabric, and the middle band was my plain green. I used ribbons in the corners to keep the cushion tied to the chair!
Guest Bath Towels. Our guest bathroom was blah – I never really “decorated” it, but I did spruce up some plain towels for our guests to use. The blue and taupe towels were trimmed with a coordinating ribbon, and the plain white towels were given a strip of my flowered theme fabric.